Bhagavad Gita Chapter One: Notes

Below are some of my notes I found recently, which I wrote down some years back, attempting to study the Geeta.

Here are the notes for Chapter One:

  • Observation of the Armies on the Battlefield of Kurukshetra
  1. Kurukshetra is described as a piligrimage. They call it the Dharmakshetra, the place where the Dharma will prevail.
  2. Diplomacy of Duryodhana has been lauded.
  3. First sloka to name the Bhagawan Krishna is 14th. (I:14). The name used here is "Madhava".
  4. Mention of Hanuman in I:20. Importance of Hanuman is signified rightly, i.e., Hanuman is a symbol of victory, as Rama was served by him during the crisis in Ramayana (as told by Valmiki).
  5. Arjuna's Plight explained in I:29 and I:30
  6. Arjuna's doubt about the 'purpose of war', is similar to my doubt about the 'purpose of my life', which seems like a war, a battle every day. (I:33, 34, 35)
  7. I:36 speaks about Fear of acquiring 'sin'. Very appropriate to everyone now.
  8. I:37 shows Ignorance. Question "Why?"
  9. From I:38 to I:42 explains why certain traditions are important.
  10. I:45 is about 'Giving up' and the associated blues.
  11. A brief summary: The total names of  the Bhagawan Krishna are 8. They are: (i) Madhava (ii) Hrishikesha (iii) Achyutha (iv) Krishna (v) Keshava (vi) Govinda (vii) Madhusudhana and (viii) Janardhana.

-Siddartha Pamulaparty
(Sometime in 2003/2004)

Comments

Sid said…
thanks Brian. I will look into the website, haven't seen it before.

Popular posts from this blog

పోతన భాగవత మకరందాలు

Gajendra Moksham - Part-2

Rani Rudrama Devi--the great Warrior-Ruler of the Kakatiyas