Gajendra Moksham - Part-2

This is another poem from the epic of “Gajendramoksham”. When I was a kid, I couldn’t get the emotions behind this poem, but later on when I started thinking on my own, my eyes filled with tears whenever I read or heard this padyam. Of course I admit I am very emotional but I believe this poem will cause everyone a tinge of sorrow in their hearts at the plight of the elephant king and at the same filled with utmost devotion to the Ultimate Liberator, Sri Maha Vishnu.



Context:
The whole story of Gajendra Moksham is how the Elephant King gets “moksham”, the Telugu/Sanskrit word, the closest equivalent in English I can think of is absolute Liberation. The scene starts with the Elephant King leading his herd and moving across the thick forest towards the river for quenching their thirst. It is described very graciously that, as the herd moved, the Elephant King glowed with pride, and all the animals in the jungle get scared, as if the Earth shook during Pralaya, destruction of Universe. This is to show that the Elephant King was no mean guy, very strong, majestic, in his prime and proud too. When they start having water from the river, a crocodile gets a hold of the leg of the Gajendra. Even after a rough battle with it, Gajendra starts succumbing to the strong crocodile. Then he prays to Vishnu who saves him ultimately.
What Pothana (and Veda Vyasa) have depicted in this allegory, as far as my little mind could think of, is even such an individual, who lived with pride and did not care anyone, in times of distress, if prays to the God Vishnu, just by taking any of His thousand names, He will come to the rescue without a second thought. It is very well known according to many accounts, that Vishnu is a devotee lover. Only thing that can “affect” Vishnu who is generally calm and unperturbed is the pure devotion. As they say, surrender to Vishnu and He will surrender to you.









My Translation:
“There is not an ounce of strength remaining in my muscles. All the courage I vested has drained off. Living tissues across my limbs, arms, are all dying. I am about to faint. My body is tired. It is demanding me to put excessive efforts to sustain further. There is no one for me; You are the only One I have! I surrender totally unto You! Please have mercy on this weakling of me! O Vishnu, the Savior of distressed! Is it not time yet for You to come? Will not You save me, my Lord? O Protector of all beings, kindly come and rescue me with Your Divine grace!! ”

-Siddartha Pamulaparty
Nov 4, 2007

Comments

Pradeep GV said…
Good one Sid. A thought just occured to me. Can you make ur translation in the form of poems, in english, by any chance? I know it's very tough but I also know you can find ways...as always
Sid said…
will definitely try...hope He likes it too and blesses me with Moksham.
Unknown said…
I like this poem very much and was looking for it desperately when i found it..thank you very much for posting this...
Sid said…
Srinivas, Glad you found it here!! Hope you like the way I out it too!!
Unknown said…
Gajendra Moksham..and in that this poem "Lavokkintayu ledu" are my favorites; I must have read them a thousand times. And I never fail to become emotional to the point that I identify myself with Gajendra, and think of the arrogant moments of young life..and now, after modern concept of 'burn out' I realise what the great Pothana depicted in the prayers to th Lord
Sid said…
Hello Nagendra Kumar, I like the way you compared the modern "burn-out" psychology with the strife of the elephant king in Gajendra Moksham.
Anonymous said…
Dear brother,
Great one. I have been listening to bhagavatha patanam by Sri Changanti Koteswara rao garu. My dad (no more now) used to chant gajendra moksham everyday morning for many days. As you are like minded you know how thirst you are listening to those again in a sthuthi.
I want to byheart these great stanzas:
1)Palikedidi Bhavatamata..
2)Evvani che janinchu...
3)Kaladanduru Deenula yeda...
4)Kalugade Naa Paali...
5)Lavokkinthayu ledhu....
6)O kamalaksha o varada...
7)Ala vikunta purambulo...
8)Sirikinjeppudu...
Every word in Potana vaari Gajendra Moksham is great. But you like (this changes again as you mature) few stanzas based on some memories.
Regards,
Ramachandra Rao
Anonymous said…
Hi this is a nice blog. The place where the Gajendra Moksha took place is Kapisthalam near Kumbakonam/Tanjore in Tamilnadu. Here is the link for the details on that temple. http://rajamala.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/gajendravaradhar-temple-kapisthalam/
Anonymous said…
hi sid

by chance u have any rukmini kalyanam poems frm pothana bhagavatham
This is total sharanagathi poem, Even im the king of the forest no one can save me except u and u only. When there is total bhakti and faithfullness we will understand who is god. in 1981 when i was in 10th class my telugu teacher tought this

Popular posts from this blog

పోతన భాగవత మకరందాలు

Rani Rudrama Devi--the great Warrior-Ruler of the Kakatiyas